Here is a list of some of the popular gemstones and how to clean them.
1. Turquoise: this gemstone has a chalky texture and is regarded as fragile. This gemstone should have a separate box to prevent chipping and scratching. Never handle it roughly. Avoid immersing it in water because it negatively reacts with chemicals. The surface can be wiped using a smooth and damp cloth. Don't use jewelry dips or even ultrasonic cleaners.
2. Lapis Lazuli: just like turquoise, this gemstone is easily chipped. It must be stored separately. Protective coatings of the lapis lazuli gemstones are easily removed so avoid immersing it in water. The cleaning procedures are the same as that of turquoise.
3. Coral: this is a porous and organic gemstone. Don't expose this gemstone in direct sunlight especially for long hours and you should also avoid large temperature variations. Simply wipe it with a damp smooth cloth.
4. Pearl: this is less durable as compared to other gemstones. Pearl is sensitive to dryness, acids, and humidity. After using pearl jewelries, you have to wipe it because they are easily discolored. You should have one pearl jewelry box. Don't mix it with other harder gemstones. If you have a cultured pearl, you can wash it in soapy yet mild water. Never dry the pearl in heat. Make sure you restring it every two years.
5. Larimar: you can keep this in a tissue or chamois bag, or in a separate box. Avoid direct contact with perfumes, hairsprays, and other chemicals. Color fading occurs when exposed to bright sunlight. You can use a drop of ammonia and soapy water to clean it; you can also soft brush to clean it.
6. Labradorite and Moonstone: these stones are primarily stored in oils before made into jewelries. Because of this, the gemstones don't crack or dry out easily. However, it is easily scratched. Wipe it with smooth and damp cloth and never use ultrasonic cleaners or jewelry dips.
7. Onyx and Chalcedony: avoid contact with harsh chemicals. Chipping and scratching can be avoided if the jewelry has a separate container. Use a soft brush and soapy water to clean it. Rinse the gemstones well.
8. Rose Quartz: avoid prolonged sun exposure to prevent color fading. Don't soak the gemstone and you can clean it using soapy water and soft brush. Never steam clean the gemstone and rinse it well.
9. Topaz: this is a very durable stone and does not easily chip nor scratch. Avoid too much heat and chemical exposure. Don't use ultrasonic cleaners, steam clean, nor soak. Use soft brush and soapy water to clean the gemstone.
10. Garnet: this gemstone is brittle. Avoid chemicals. Ultrasonic cleaners can't be used with an andradite but all other garnets can be cleaned with it. Don't soak.
11. Peridot: avoid too much heat exposure, harsh chemicals, and extreme temperature changes. Use soft brush and soapy water to clean it and then rinse thoroughly. Don't use ultrasonic cleaners nor steam clean.
The list of gemstones in this article are considered semi precious. These stones are less expensive as compared to the precious stones but still needs extreme and proper care. Gemstone jewelries are great investments and even the ancient people believed that the stones bring good luck. So if you have several different pieces of gemstones, be sure to get a jewelry box with different compartments so that you can place the gemstones in separate bins.